Thursday, January 8, 2009

Not Starving, Just Hungry

I remember this from the one other time I really paid close attention to my diet. Hunger.

When you eat the normal portions of the "right" foods - especially that first week of dieting - you can feel like you are starving.

And then you think back to a week ago: You would have picked up McDonald's on your way home from work, and ate a 10-piece Chicken Nugget value meal with Diet Coke and a double cheeseburger. You'd have had some Cheetos because you were not quite finished with the show on TV you were watching, and TV without snacking on something is unimaginable. No night is complete without dessert, and so you would have raided your candy collection and ate at least a candy bar or two or three! You'd feel full - painfully so - and decide that maybe only a can of Diet Coke is all you need in that last hour before bed. You'd have to sleep with four pillows under your head to keep the acid reflux from burning your throat and keeping you awake, coughing up stomach acids.

Suddenly - surprised at your life only one week ago - you aren't so hungry any more.

2 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

I agree. I didn't used to actually feel all that hungry when I ate. Now I do.

I also don't feel full. I have tried to limit my snacks to gulps of water or PB toast or Cheerios. I've found that the log helps b/c I don't want to have catalog the fact that I ate a pack of M&Ms or the like.

Escape Pirate said...

Being back at work has helped me stop snacking throughout the day. Also, just being busy, having work and books to read and story reviews to type - things keeping my hands busy - keeps me from snacking.

I haven't gotten around to logging things yet (too busy this week), but my plan is to start this weekend. Maybe it can be our first Random Challenge, to log and share our results after a week? Yeah, that sounds good. I'll put it up Sunday for this week. Great idea, Neal. Thanks.