Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Beginning

Starting Weight: 236.8

I spent some time searching around on the web for descriptive statistics of the average 28 (and one half) year old male.

To be healthy he should be between 170 and 177 lbs. with a BMI (Body Mass Index) between 18 and 24.

Calculating my BMI with a height of 5’10 and a weight of 237 lbs., I have a BMI of 34. This puts me squarely – or rather roundly – in the category of obese.

What this means - I have some weight to lose. (Duh.)

My goal will be a weight of 170 lbs. by December 31, 2009.

This will require an average loss of 1.28 lbs. per week. Or 4,480 calories a week. For a total of 232,960 calories to lose this year.

Another way to think about this: One package of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups has 260 calories. I need to drop from my frame 896 packages of Peanut Butter Cups. Or 1,792 individual PB Cups.

You know, I think I may have actually eaten that many Peanut Butter Cups over the past few years.

66.8 lbs to goal.

3 comments:

Midnight Sprinter said...

The trick isn't too lose 896 packages of RPBC over the years you put it on though. It's going to be rough work for us; especially for me since you have family to help you work out.

Anyway here's my gloriously unattractive stats:

6'1.5"
220lbs
BMI: 28.6; Overweight

Range: 155-194; ideal weight for my height 177lbs.

Goal: 175lbs

Escape Pirate said...

Hmm, how can your ideal weight be basically the same as mine when you are like a foot taller than me? (Okay, so 3 inches taller...)

But you'll have my blog to help motivate you. I know it isn't much, but hopefully it helps.

Ryan said...

I don't know what I weigh. I'm taller than Pirate and shorter than Neal. I'm probably in the overweight category. BMI: ?

Goal weight = 180-190 as long as most of it is muscle.