Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Challenges of Frozen Fruit

I wanted to try some different frozen fruits to see how they thaw out and taste afterward. I bought a bag of strawberries and a bag of mangos. Tonight I defrosted the strawberries, and gave them a try.

Eh.

The bag said to let them thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while. I did this and they were still pretty frozen to just eat. So I let them sit a bit longer. After about 45 minutes I ate them, still partially frozen - or at least very cold. And they were alright. Some of the larger ones were still crunchy with ice crystals, while the smaller slices were mushy. I don't think this would be such a problem if they were mixed into smoothies or such, but I don't have a blender, so that's not an option now.

I'll be curious to see how the mangos fare. I've actually no good comparison here because I don't believe I've ever eaten a mango. I've had them in smoothies, and in flavorings and applesauce mixes, but never alone.

I need to look up some recipes or advice for the use and preparation of frozen fruit before I consider adding this option to my diet.

4 comments:

ComputerChick said...

Great idea on trying the frozen fruit. I think someone told me they found bags of strawberries and mangos mixed at ALDI for a great price.

You are right that frozen fruit is often best when still partially frozen or when mixed in a smoothie. Although I like mushy strawberries and cool whip on my shortcake ;-)

Escape Pirate said...

I'm going to have to get a blender again. I don't know what happened to the one I used to have (I think my brother took it?). I like smoothies, and that would be a way to enjoy the frozen fruit a bit more.

Ryan said...

The reason your fruit didn't thaw is that your thermostat is set at a tempurature close to freezing. Fool!!!

I do believe that I borrowed your blender, and I may have sacrificed it to the land-fill gods in Michigan. I have a Magic Bullet that works pretty well.

Escape Pirate said...

Ha. Ha.

It was a good blender, so of course it ended up in the dump.