Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Cost of Eating

I went grocery shopping today for the week and was surprised by the cost. When I returned home I had to check and see just how much I was spending on food each day. (Why? I don’t know; I’m just curious.)

This week I spent $51.64 on food and drinks at Target. Figuring that I’ll eat about 80% of what I purchased during the course of the week (not likely that I’m going to go through 3 boxes of pasta – purchased because it was on sale for less than a buck a box; etc.) I’ll eat approximately $41.31 worth of groceries. That is $5.90 per day.

When you think about the cost of dining out, even a value meal at McDonalds, or a $5 foot long sandwich at Subway, this would feed me only one meal a day for the same cost.

It is much cheaper (and healthier) to eat at home. Sometimes it’s just nice to see that reinforced with math.

(And $5.90 a day on food doesn’t seem at all excessive to me.)

No comments: