Sunday, March 8, 2009

Jumping At Shadows

Last week I thought being alone in the gym, late at night, was cool. Tonight...not nearly as cool. I was jumping at imaginary shadows and lurking evils.

My big plan all week was to go to the gym when Saturday Night Live began, and workout on the recumbent bike until it was over. That would be a great 1.5 hours of working out, and Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) was hosting, so I knew I'd get a few laughs out of the whole deal. Well, I got there - only a couple minutes late - just as the last person working out was leaving. That meant me, the bike and TV, and no one else. Cool beans, I thought.

Until...

Every single minute I was jumping at imaginary people skirting by in the corners of my vision. It wasn't so bad when I finally moved to the elliptical trainer and was able to watch the whole gym through the reflections on the front windows, but that was only after an hour and five minutes of uneasiness.

Still, I did get in a good workout. I'll probably go back and do it again, but hopefully there's at least one other night owl at work.

No comments: