Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Fighting Burnout

This week I'm struggling to get to the gym. Or even a walk outside (not that the weather is all that warm).

I think I'm just a bit exhausted from all the exercise of the past few weeks. That's not to say I'm giving up. Far from it.

I'm going out to the gym in a little while, but I'm going to get some work done first. It's the work I've been putting off (and the reading, and the TV, and the movies...), which is not something I can continue to do. I also know that I won't be able to keep exercising as hard as I am without more frequent breaks. It's not so bad when you aren't pushing yourself in every workout, but I've been tearing up the treadmill, hammering down on the bike and elliptical trainers. Streaks of 11 or 12 days are not healthy - rest needs to become a part of my routine.

3 comments:

Escape Pirate said...

Went and worked out. It felt great. Upped the weights by doing another set of 15 reps on each machine. Ran a quick 2.5 miles. Had to ice my knee tonight, but it wasn't bad at all. I'm just real glad I convinced myself to go tonight.

Steve Shaver said...

Bad news for me.
I only had 2 hours of cycling last week for my exercise.
I went to the doctor Monday and I have Rotator Cuff surgery scheduled for the 20th of this month. That will be followed up about 3 weeks later with a total knee replacement on the left leg.Bottom line, I have 2 weeks of biking left before it comes to a screaching halt. RAGBRAI is out for this year. My whole clan is sitting this one out again. I'll call you with more details.

Escape Pirate said...

That's a huge bummer, man.

Only two more weeks of biking and then a long recovery...hardly seems right. Still, I'm sure you won't be out for the whole year, and there will be more RAGBRAI's in the future.