Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Need(?) for Speed

Today’s bike ride was a beast. The ride was eleven miles longer than yesterday, with an average speed closer to 2 mph faster! By the last 7 miles I was exhausted. Spent. Legs like noodles and arms nearly too weak to stay on the handlebars.

I rode with Steve from Kyle’s Bikes in Ankeny, on the trail, north to Slater, and then back by way of DMACC, with one and a half loops around the lake. The wind was out of the South-South East, giving us a bit of a tailwind on the mostly uphill ride to Slater. Coming back the wind was against us, so even the mostly downhill ride seemed tough. By the end I was convinced that I had flat tires – what else could explain the sheer difficulty I was having pedaling? (Well, the fact that I’ve not exercised at all the past two months, plus a 20-mile ride yesterday, might have something to do with it.)

My knees and legs are shot. I’m limping around like a much older man tonight. My arms and neck saw some sun and are burned, but not badly. I’ll sleep well tonight. That’s for sure.

And I’ll be right back out there tomorrow, but maybe at a slower pace.
---
Ride Summary: 32.09 miles in 2:07:11 hours, at an average of 15.1 mph; rode Ankeny to Slater, and back, with Steve – with 1.5 loops around DMACC lake at end; warm – high 70’s – and sunny, with moderate winds from the South-South East.

No comments: