Thursday, June 25, 2009

Biking - June 25

Turns out there is a reason I enjoy my 20 mile loop course so much: it’s mostly downhill. You know how I know? I rode part of it – about 10 miles – going the opposite direction and it was entirely uphill. Balls!

And that wasn’t the worst part; that was just the last 10 miles of my ride.

I left home planning a short ride of only an hour for a leisurely 14 or 15 miles. It was hot and my knee was no better and I wasn’t all that excited about doing the ride in the first place, but as often happens, as soon as I got going, I kept going.

Once I decided to extend my ride, I wanted to see just how far it was to Kyle’s Bikes in Ankeny. I got to the Saylorville trails between Johnston and Ankeny, and changed plans. I hopped on the trail headed north and rode to the Mile Long Bride (turns out to be only .94 miles long). I took the bridge west to meet up with my loop, and rode the course in the opposite direction the 10+ miles to home.

And then the bird attacked me again. Same spot and all. It was as if the bastard bird was waiting. More screaming and arm waving ensued. As an added bonus I got to do this routine in front of a car coming up behind me. I’m sure it was quite the show.

Earlier in the ride, while cruising up the trails I was almost knocked off my bike by a deer. Right in front of my bike the deer burst across the path. At the time I thought the birds had recruited other animals to the cause. After the bird attack later, I’m sure they have.

I’m a marked rider. Beware.

I also decided that I’m a bit of a trail snob. After riding the wonderfully smooth (and relatively flat) trails north of Ankeny and over at Chichaqua, I don’t think I can ride the HORRIBLY maintained, bumpy as hell, hilly Saylorville trails. That was 12 miles of the worst riding I’ve had in years.

I don’t think I have heat exhaustion, but it was a killer ride. There was no way I could go another mile. I was done at 29; there was no reaching 30. The sun even managed to eat through my sun block, not burning my arms and face, but toasting them a much darker tan than they were a day ago.

Ride Summary: 29.19 miles in 2:02:42 hours, at an average of 14.2 mph; rode from home to the Saylorville trails between Johnston and Ankeny and went north to the Mile Long Bridge, then west to Beaver Avenue and back through Grimes on my way home; HOT – high 80’s (feels like 98 – according to the Weather Channel, and ME) – and sunny and humid, with winds from the west at 15+ mph.

No comments: