Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April - Rest and Relaxation Month


Before you even think it – this is NOT an excuse to be lazy.

After burning out with the exercise, I’ve found myself in a bit of a decline. There’s been some weight gain, some poor diet choices, and an overall lack of motivation and poor attitude.

So, I got to thinking. Instead of setting myself back on the same path, I decided to head down a different road. I’m attempting to combat the attitudinal and motivational difficulties of healthy living by challenging us to maintain a relaxed state of mind in the hopes that this tranquil state will more adequately balance the rigors of exercise and diet with the lackadaisical tendencies of real life.

The research is out there to support the fact that sleep and relaxation are vital components of a healthy life. The amounts of sleep and time spent unstressed vary from study to study, from individual to individual. This research has shown that a lack of sleep can increase the risks for obesity and depression. Thus, the quality and quantity of sleep are important factors in maintaining a healthy mind and body. For more information regarding sleep, click through to this great, in-depth, article on the topic.

It seems like a simple thing – common sense, really. But sleep and relaxation are the first things we sacrifice when pursuing a goal. I know I have; and, turns out, not to the benefit of my cause. Take a breath, pause – relax – and start anew: refreshed and renewed.

No comments: